Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Forced laughter is better than NO laughter

So I have DEFINITELY fallen off the radar these last few weeks. Trust me--you are EXTREMELY happy that I decided to take a break. First of all, I haven't been feeling great and have been incredibly tired which in blogging terms means that I was "Incredibly rambly (it's a word. Now.) and boring, yet refusing to concede..." you know--like continuing to tell a story when the punchline is revealed, yet lacking...punch...but you are certain you can twist the tale around again to get a laugh, only to find that there are simply no laughs to be found in said story? Much like THIS one...

When I am tired or sick or sick and tired, I have a hard time staying focused. When I am healthy or happy or healthy and happy, I have a hard time staying focused. I think we can agree on the theme here and I think that no one knows it better than my faithful readers (reader?!) who desperately try to pull laughter out of some things that are simply not funny.

 It's like when I watch SNL. The skits that are funny are SO VERY FUNNY. You know the ones. Da Bears...Simon and his drawrings...Delta Delta Delta...Wayne's World...The Church Lady...Tina Fey as Sarah Palin...funny stuff. The problem? Every time I decide to give SNL another try, there is absolutely NOTHING funny on it. When I decide to turn it off or to boycott it from the beginning, I end up missing the funniest skits. Every one of the skits I mentioned above I watched in a rerun or on you tube. So when I see something as hilarious as the Jammie Party or Mom Jeans I then find it necessary to watch every minute of every SNL for the following few weeks because I am certain that I am going to miss the funny skits. Here's where the analogy comes in to play again--when my faithful reader(s are) is reading my blog, (s)he is willing it to be funny--like I do on most SNL nights. You know--that forced laughter to make yourself feel better because if you don't even KIND OF laugh, you will have to admit that the time you wasted on reading or watching something that isn't even slightly entertaining is time you will NEVER get back and that is just sad. And aggravating.

I think I indirectly made it sound like I think my blog is held in the same esteem as SNL and that is not even REMOTELY the case. I meant to say that my blog tends to be as...inconsistently funny (if not AS funny) as SNL. Meaning on those days when I'm "on" you may involuntarily laugh whereas the days when I am...forcing it...you may let out a Sheldon-esque squeal that sounds more like an animal writhing in agony than a person laughing at a funny story. You know Sheldon, right? The Big Bang Theory MUST be on your list of hilarious shows. Watch it--you won't be disappointed. Plus, you will be able to keep up with the conversation.

These last few weeks had MANY Sheldonesque moments (Once I use it twice it then becomes a word. Embrace it.) and very few truly laughable moments. This is why I decided to take a break. I thought it was just mean to make you endure reading (let's be honest--skimming) the babble that I tried to pass as entertainment. Of course, I'm doing it again...

When I was on vacation visiting my family last week, my cousin reminded me that he would ALWAYS be on my side for EVERYTHING--just so that I won't write about him in my blog. The good news is he is great so there is nothing to really say (it's only fun to talk about people who are NOT great--everyone knows that), but the bad news is (for HIM) that he did not avoid an appearance in the blog...sorry Dave! We did discuss the fact that my  last few posts seemed to drag on a bit...though I was just thrilled that he admitted to actually READING (or skimming!) it. From now on, I need to end it at the first signs of rambling--four paragraphs ago...insert awkward Sheldonesque laugh here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE feedback--especially the POSITIVE kind...