Tuesday, October 18, 2011

To curse or not to curse...

So we are driving with my son (Brayden) and his best friend on Saturday and his friend is telling a story about these boys he befriended in his neighborhood. One of the boys, it seems, likes to use curse words. ALL of them. "I shouldn't say them, right Miss Nika?" he innocently asks. "NO!" my husband and I (finally doing something ALONE and TOGETHER) yelled and practically jumped out of our seats.

 "I mean, that's okay--it's good that you know they aren't okay to say. Sometimes friends aren't told that their words are wrong or that they can hurt other people.  Sometimes it hurts people's feelings just by SAYING the word, even if it isn't meant as an insult,"   I added, trying to deflate the fear he may have felt when the two of us jumped on him.

"Yeah," Brayden contributed. "I know the 'H' word the 'S' word the 'D' word and the 'F' word and I wouldn't want to hear ANYONE say them!" He nodded, knowingly.

My husband and I exchanged glances and I asked, "Really? I'm glad you know not to use them...you won't be in trouble for saying them now...I don't mind, do you, [best friend]?" "No! What are they, Brayden?"

"Hatestupiddumbandfreak!"  he shouted in one breath. "And I'll try not to say them. EVER."

I love my son.

4 comments:

  1. LOL! My boys shock people when they are tattling...."So and so said the "F" word." When it comes out that the "F" word is Fart....well....I usually have people looking at me weirdly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great--and so funny! I honestly didn't know where he would go with some of those letters! They use "the 'F' word" for fart, fat, freak...there are probably more than I even know, but luckily (until his friend spills the beans about the REAL words!) mine are clueless right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't stop laughing! You have the cutest kids!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE feedback--especially the POSITIVE kind...